Our Best “Worlds Longest Yard Sale” Shopping Tips
Let’s shop the World’s Longest Yard Sale on Highway 127 and the Lookout Mountain Parkway. This event always takes place the first Thursday through Sunday of every August and this year it will be August 3-6, 2023.
The event runs from Gadsden, Alabama along the Lookout Mountain Parkway to Chattanooga, Tennessee where it picks up Highway 127 and continues over 600 miles to Addison, Michigan.
The annual August concept of the World’s Longest Yard Sale is to pull people off the interstates and back into the heartland of rural, scenic America.
The event encourages businesses and residents to participate in each community’s unique cultural heritage by having yard sales, sidewalk sales and special promotions for a continuous stretch from one end of the sale route to the other.
The pleasure we derive from rummaging through someone’s junk, hoping to find something unique and maybe even discovering an item worth a lot to you but the seller says, “I’ll take .50 cents for that.” Those words are music to every savvy thrifter’s ears.
The yard sale brings about various questions from people that are new to the event.
We hope these tips will help give you a better understanding of how to make the most of the journey.
Who organizes the event?
How do I become a vendor?
What can I sell?
Where does it start?
Where are the Yard Sales?
Is there an entry fee?
What's the best time to shop?
Can I ship items home?
How long does each stop take?
Where can I stay?
Helpful Suggestions include:
- Drive a large car. You never know what oversize treasures you might unexpectedly find.
- Bring items such as sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, and mosquito repellant, to protect yourself from the elements. It’s hot and humid in this part of the country and the sun can roast you even on a cloudy day.
- Wear comfortable shoes and drink plenty of fluids, chances are you’ll be doing a lot of walking. It is usually very warm and all the walking and activities can drain you before you know it. Don’t succumb to a heat stroke or dehydration.
- Many vendors don’t take credit cards or checks, so bring cash.
- Get out there early! Though there are hundreds of vendors who sell all day long from sunup to sundown, you’ll be competing with thousands of other shoppers. And as with any yard sale, the good stuff goes quickly.
- Be very cautious of other vehicles. You will often find yourself looking off on the sides of the road at the yard sales and before you know it the vehicle in front of you has come to a stop. Be alert.
- Watch for pedestrians.
- Take pictures and share your journey by tagging @DeKalbTourism
- Enjoy YOUR America!